MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - No. 6 seed West Virginia will face No. 2 seed Texas in a Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship quarterfinal round game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City on Thursday, March 13 at 9:30 p.m. in a game that will be televised on the Big 12 Network (check back later this week for updated clearances). Thursday's game will also be available on WatchESPN, ESPN3 and ESPN Full Court.
The Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG's coverage will be available on affiliates throughout West Virginia and will begin with the pregame show at 9 p.m. The Big 12 will also have satellite radio coverage of the entire tournament on Sirius channel 94/ XM channel 193.
West Virginia dropped both regular season games to Texas this year, 80-69 in Morgantown on Jan. 13 and 88-71 in Austin on Feb. 15.
Here are some numbers of note for Thursday night's matchup:
- Bob Huggins has posted a 38-15 mark in conference tournaments, including 10 championships in four different leagues.
- WVU is 25-15 in March under Bob Huggins and WVU is 40-22 in its last 62 games in the month of March.
- Seventy-two of Bob Huggins’ 150 West Virginia victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
- WVU has won 96 of its last 121 games against unranked teams, including 49 of its last 56 at the WVU Coliseum.
- WVU has won 79 of its last 100 non-conference games and 84 of its last 106 non-league contests (includes postseason).
- Bob Huggins, with 740 career wins, is in 16th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. He needs one win to tie John Chaney for 15th place. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 740-300 in his 32nd season as a head coach. Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
- Bob Huggins has wins over 23 ranked teams at WVU, including nine over a Top-10 ranked team.
- West Virginia is 10-0 this season when allowing 69 or less points in a game.
- Nationally, WVU ranks eighth in fewest turnovers per game. The Mountaineers have had 17 outings with single-digit turnovers this season and have had 10 or less in 22 of 31 contests.
- The Mountaineers are 17-5 this season when scoring 20 or more points in the paint (0-9 when they don’t).
- Juwan Staten was named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation’s top point guard.
- Staten has had five assists or more in 22 of 31 outings, with one turnover or less on 16 occasions.
- Staten has had 14 points or more in 23 straight games, including 20 points or more eight of the past 17 games.
- Staten is averaging nearly 11 points per game more than last year’s 7.6 points-per-game average, is shooting almost 20 percent better from the floor and has surpassed the 101 assists he handed out last year.
- Staten is at or near the top in just about every statistical category in the Big 12 this year, including scoring (first), field goal percentage (fifth), assists (first), assist-to-turnover ratio (second), steals (eighth) and minutes played (first).
- Staten has three double-doubles this season (points and rebounds). He has six games with nine or more assists.
- Staten (571 points, 182 rebounds and 184 assists) became the first player in school history to score 500 points, grab 150 rebounds and dish out 150 assists in a season.
- Staten (18.4) and Eron Harris (17.9) are first and fourth, respectively, in scoring in the Big 12.
- Staten was named to the All-Big 12 First Team and All-Defensive Team. He is fourth player to earn All-Conference First Team honors under Huggins and WVU’s seventh to do so since 2006. Harris earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors.
- Staten (571 pts) and Harris (555 pts) rank 21st and 25th, respectively, in points in a season at WVU.
- Harris ranks third in the Big 12 in 3-point FGM, third in free throw percentage and third in 3-point percentage.
- Harris (86 3s) set the school record for 3pt.-FGM by a sophomore, passing Patrick Beilein (2004)/Alex Ruoff (2007) - 69 3s.
- Harris set the school record for consecutive free throws made by making 37 from Jan. 18 to Feb. 15.
- Harris has scored in double figures in 13 of his last 14 outings, including 21 points or more six times.
- Terry Henderson has posted double-figure point totals in 11 of his last 15 outings.
- Rémi Dibo ranks fifth in the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage and sixth in 3-point field goals made.
- Devin Williams has posted eight double-doubles and has had nine double-figure rebounding performances this season.
- Williams’ eight double-doubles are the third most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- Williams has 227 rebounds so far this season, the fourth most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 35 times under Bob Huggins (239 games).
- West Virginia has won 66 of its last 75 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
- West Virginia is 44-3 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
- West Virginia is 113-22 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
- West Virginia is 118-13 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 110-8 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
- West Virginia has won 82 of its last 99 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- The Mountaineers are 105-20 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 110-27 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Mountaineers are 8-7 all-time on March 13. WVU is 207-152 all-time in March.
GAMEDAY HASHTAG --- #HailWV