Men's Soccer

Men's Soccer: Doue Lifts WVU in 2OT

By Ira Green for MSNsportsNET.com
September 6, 2009


MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Freshman Moeryhan “Peabo” Doue’s first career goal came in the form of a game-winner as the West Virginia University men’s soccer team defeated Buffalo, 1-0, with only 55 seconds left in the final overtime session on Sunday evening. The Mountaineers earned the win in front of nearly 1,000 fans in the final game of the WVU/NIKE Classic, presented by Jerseys Subs.

  Freshman Peabo Dove tallied the game-winning goal against Buffalo.
All-Pro Photography/Dale Sparks

"It was a tough game because they were so organized and so defensive, and we're so young and still learning each other's tendencies,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “Our guys got a pretty good sense of what's going to happen to us this year. We got to credit our guys. They stuck to the game plan and they kept fighting. They definitely deserved the goal."

Although it was an extremely physical match, the Mountaineers (1-1-0) overshadowed the whistles for fouls with dominating offensive play, especially leading up to the game-winning goal.

In the final overtime session, WVU recorded four corner kicks and two shots. Following the fourth corner kick by freshman Abel “Shadow” Sebele, the Mountaineers pressured the Bulls (1-1-0) in their 18-yard box. No less than a minute later, WVU gained possession on the near side of the field, and as Doue took control of the ball, he sent a shot with his left foot past Bulls’ goalkeeper Nick Fetterman inside the far post for the score. Freshmen Nathan Adams, who earned his first career starting nod, and Travis Pittman were credited with an assist on the play.

Although unable to capitalize, the Mountaineers’ best opportunities came in the second half. At the 56:26 mark, the Bulls nearly registered an own goal. Freshman Uwem Etuk sent a beautiful cross from the left side of the field on the ground that rolled past the keeper and was nearly directed in by a Bulls’ defender, but went out for a corner kick. Five minutes later, following a Buffalo foul, freshman Nathan Adams took a free kick that appeared to be heading into the back of the net, past the keeper, but tailed wide.

The match was a physical one as the two teams combined for 37 fouls and nine cards, including a red card given to Buffalo’s Mateo Escobar.

"We've done some good stuff in these first two games, in terms of creating opportunities,” LeBlanc adds. “Clearly, our scouting report is getting out there about us. You saw two teams really be physical with us this tournament and all these freshmen have to learn how to adapt to that physicality."

Nevertheless, the Mountaineers showed they were up to the challenge. Following Buffalo’s three shots in the first half, the stifling back line of redshirt junior Kyle West, freshmen Raymon Gaddis and Eric Schoenle, seniors Jason Bristol and Ryan Gillespie did not allow a shot for the rest of the contest.

Senior Gift Maworere earned his 61st career starting nod and played all 119 minutes of the match. He is now tied for ninth all-time in the WVU annals for career starts.

Pittman took a game-high three shots, including one on-goal, while Sebele finished with two shots.

Redshirt junior Zach Johnson made one save en route to his 22nd career shutout. He is currently in third in the WVU record book for career shutouts.

WVU returns to action on Friday, Sept. 11, when it heads to Wilmington, N.C., for the UNC Wilmington Tournament. On the first day of competition, the Mountaineers will play the tournament host at 7:30 p.m.