WVU Travels to Oklahoma State
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia travels to Oklahoma State to face the Cowboys in a 1 p.m. Big 12 clash at Gallagher-Iba Arena on Saturday. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU.
DATE: Saturday, January 26, 2013
LOCATION: Gallagher-Iba Arena (13,611)
TIPOFF: 1:00 p.m.
SERIES: West Virginia leads 1-0
TV: ESPNU (Brad Sham and Bob Valvano)
RADIO: MSN (40 affiliates) Tony Caridi, Jay Jacobs and Kyle Wiggs
OFFICIALS: Announced on game day
• West Virginia will be playing its second game in the state of Oklahoma. The Mountaineers defeated Oklahoma, 92-68, in Oklahoma City on Dec. 22, 2005.
• Bob Huggins, with 719 career wins, needs five wins to tie Ray Meyer for 18th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. He is currently tied with Don Haskins for 19th place. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 719-276 in his 31st season as a head coach.
• Bob Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
• West Virginia is playing its first season in the Big 12 Conference in 2012-13. The Mountaineers were members of the Big East Conference for the previous 17 seasons.
• Bob Huggins has posted 23 conference road victories in five-plus years at WVU, an average of 4.4 per season.
• Sixty-four of Bob Huggins’ 129 victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
• Bob Huggins is 12-9 in Big 12 Conference games. He is 2-3 at WVU, and his Kansas State team posted a 10-6 Big 12 record in 2006-07. The Wildcats finished fourth in the Big 12 in 2007.
• West Virginia is 56-39 under Bob Huggins in conference regular season games.
• The Mountaineers have three transfers on the roster in 2012-13. Junior center Aaric Murray led La Salle in scoring (15.2), rebounding (7.7) and blocks (2.3) in 2010-11. Sophomore guard Juwan Staten led the Atlantic 10 in assists with 190 as a freshman at Dayton in 2010-11. Senior guard Matt Humphrey has one year left after transferring from Boston College, where he was second on the team in scoring at 10.3 points per game.
• WVU has won 91 of its last 115 games against unranked teams, including 47 of its last 52 at the WVU Coliseum.
• West Virginia has made at least one 3-point field goal in 441 consecutive games. The last time WVU did not make a 3-point field goal was against Robert Morris on Nov. 27, 1999.
• WVU is predicted to finish sixth in the Big 12 Conference poll. In eight of the last 10 seasons, the Mountaineers have finished higher or equal to their preseason prediction.
• WVU has made nine straight postseason appearances: 2012 NCAA Second Round, 2011 NCAA Third Round, 2010 NCAA Final Four, 2009 NCAA First Round, 2008 NCAA Sweet 16, 2007 NIT champions, 2006 NCAA Sweet 16, 2005 NCAA Elite Eight and 2004 NIT Second Round.
• WVU has made five straight NCAA appearances and seven in the last eight seasons. In the year the Mountaineers didn’t make the NCAA tournament (2007), they won the NIT.
• Bob Huggins has led WVU to the NCAA championship in each of his first five seasons. The last time WVU made five consecutive NCAA appearances was from 1955-60, when the Mountaineers went six consecutive years to the NCAA tourney.
• West Virginia has won 64 of its last 78 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
• West Virginia is 37-1 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
• West Virginia is 104-21 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
• West Virginia is 111-13 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 103-6 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
• West Virginia has won 72 of its last 83 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• The Mountaineers are 95-14 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 108-25 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
• West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 31 times under Bob Huggins (194 games).
• Twenty-four of the last 25 senior members of the men’s basketball team have graduated on time or early since 2004.
• Bob Huggins has wins over 20 ranked teams since he has been the head coach at West Virginia, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team in the last six seasons.
• West Virginia has a 126-31 (.807) record against teams in their first visit to the Coliseum.
• West Virginia is 65-16 in the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins, including a 33-15 mark in league games at home.
• WVU is 474-136 (.779) all-time at the WVU Coliseum and 95-19 at the WVU Coliseum in the last eight seasons.
• Under Bob Huggins in the WVU Coliseum, WVU is averaging 75.4 ppg, while holding its opponents to 61.5 ppg.
• WVU’s average margin of victory at the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins is +13.9.
• The Mountaineers have won 47 of their last 65 conference games at the WVU Coliseum.
• WVU is 15-13 all-time on Jan. 26. The Mountaineers are 482-308 all-time in the month of January.
Bob Huggins: TCU Postgame
Jevon Carter: TCU Postgame
United Bank Playbook: TCU
Women's Basketball: Kansas Preview
Bob Huggins: TCU Preview
Gymnastics: Jason Butts ISU Preview