WVU, Kansas to Meet on CBS
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia travels to Kansas looking to snap its three-game losing streak with a Saturday afternoon Big 12 tilt against the Jayhawks that will tip off at 2 p.m. and will be televised nationally on CBS.
DATE: Saturday, March 2, 2013
LOCATION: Allen Fieldhouse (16,300) in Lawrence, Kan.
TIPOFF: 2:00 p.m. ET
SERIES: Kansas leads 1-0
TV: CBS (Kevin Harlan and Jim Spanarkel)
RADIO: MSN (40 affiliates) Tony Caridi, Jay Jacobs and Kyle Wiggs OFFICIALS: Announced on game day
• West Virginia has won 10 of its last 13 and 21 of its last 28 games televised by CBS.
• Saturday's game will air nationally on ESPN Radio with Marc Kestecher and Will Perdue on the call.
• WVU is 23-10 in March under Bob Huggins, including wins in 11 of its last 16 games in the month of March. WVU is 38-17 in its last 55 games in the month of March.
• Bob Huggins has posted 25 conference road victories in five-plus years at WVU. WVU has three Big 12 road wins this year.
• Sixty six of Bob Huggins’ 133 victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
• Bob Huggins has wins over 20 ranked teams since he has been the head coach at West Virginia, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team in the last six seasons.
• Bob Huggins coached in his 1,000th game at TCU on Feb. 9, a 63-50 Mountaineer victory.
• Bob Huggins, with 723 career wins, needs one win to tie Ray Meyer for 18th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 723-282 in his 31st season as a head coach.
• Bob Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
• West Virginia is playing its first season in the Big 12 Conference in 2012-13. The Mountaineers were members of the Big East Conference for the previous 17 seasons.
• WVU has won 95 of its last 122 games against unranked teams, including 49 of its last 55 at the WVU Coliseum.
• Bob Huggins is 16-15 in Big 12 Conference games. He is 6-9 at WVU, and his Kansas State team posted a 10-6 Big 12 record in 2006-07. The Wildcats finished fourth in the Big 12 in 2007.
• West Virginia is 60-45 under Bob Huggins in conference regular season games.
• WVU has started 12 different players this season with 12 different starting lineup combinations.
• Freshman Eron Harris leads WVU in scoring in Big 12 Conference games at 12.0 points per game. He has posted double figures in 10 of his last 13 games, including a career-high 25 points against Baylor.
• Sophomore Juwan Staten leads the Big 12 in assist-to-turnover ratio (conference games only) at 2.83.
• Freshman Terry Henderson is fifth in the Big 12 (conference games only) in 3-point field goal percentage (42.9 percent).
• West Virginia has made at least one 3-point field goal in 451 consecutive games. The last time WVU did not make a 3-point field goal was against Robert Morris on Nov. 27, 1999.
• WVU is predicted to finish sixth in the Big 12 Conference poll. In eight of the last 10 seasons, the Mountaineers have finished higher or equal to their preseason prediction.
• WVU has made nine straight postseason appearances: 2012 NCAA Second Round, 2011 NCAA Third Round, 2010 NCAA Final Four, 2009 NCAA First Round, 2008 NCAA Sweet 16, 2007 NIT champions, 2006 NCAA Sweet 16, 2005 NCAA Elite Eight and 2004 NIT Second Round.
• Bob Huggins has led WVU to the NCAA championship in each of his first five seasons. The last time WVU made five consecutive NCAA appearances was from 1955-60, when the Mountaineers went six consecutive years to the NCAA tourney.
• West Virginia has won 67 of its last 83 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
• West Virginia is 39-1 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
• West Virginia is 108-22 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
• West Virginia is 115-14 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 107-6 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
• West Virginia has won 73 of its last 84 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• The Mountaineers are 96-14 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 110-28 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
• West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 34 times under Bob Huggins (204 games).
• Twenty-four of the last 25 senior members of the men’s basketball team have graduated on time or early since 2004.
• West Virginia has a 128-34 (.797) record against teams in their first visit to the Coliseum.
• West Virginia is 67-19 in the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins, including a 35-16 mark in league games at home.
• WVU is 476-139 (.779) all-time at the WVU Coliseum and 97-22 at the WVU Coliseum in the last eight seasons.
• Under Bob Huggins in the WVU Coliseum, WVU is averaging 74.5 ppg, while holding its opponents to 61.7 ppg.
• WVU’s average margin of victory at the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins is +12.8.
• The Mountaineers have won 49 of their last 70 conference games at the WVU Coliseum.
• WVU is 17-9 all-time on March 2. The Mountaineers are 205-147 all-time in the month of March.
WVUsportsBuzz presented by U.S. Cellular
Wearing the Jersey: WBB Seniors
Womens Basketball: Kansas State Pregame
Wearing the Jersey: Kaja Mrgole
Women's Basketball: Texas Postgame