2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia will take on Texas Tech in an opening round game in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship on Wednesday, March 13 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City. The game will tip at 7 p.m. EST and will be televised on the Big 12 Network.
DATE: Wednesday, March 13, 2013
LOCATION: Sprint Center (18,972) in Kansas City, Mo.
TIPOFF: 7:00 p.m. ET
SERIES: West Virginia leads 3-0
TV: Big 12 Network (Dave Armstrong and Reid Gettys)
RADIO: MSN (40 affiliates) Tony Caridi, Jay Jacobs and Kyle Wiggs OFFICIALS: Announced on game day
• Wednesday night's opening game of the 2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship will be televised by the Big 12 Network (check WVUsports.com for updated clearances). It will also air on WatchESPN, ESPN3 and ESPN Full Court.
• Bob Huggins has posted a 38-14 mark in conference tournaments, including 10 championships in four different leagues.
• WVU is 23-13 in March under Bob Huggins, including wins in 11 of its last 19 games in the month of March. WVU is 38-20 in its last 58 games in the month of March.
• West Virginia will be playing its fourth game in the state of Missouri. The Mountaineers were defeated at Saint Louis, 75-45, on Jan. 4, 2003. WVU fell to Texas, 76-75, on Nov. 21, 2005 and Kentucky, 80-66, on Nov. 22, 2005 -- both games in the Guardians Classic in Kansas City at Municipal Auditorium.
• Bob Huggins coached in his 1,000th game at TCU on Feb. 9, a 63-50 Mountaineer victory.
• Bob Huggins, with 723 career wins, needs one win to tie Ray Meyer for 18th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 723-284 in his 31st season as a head coach.
• Bob Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
• West Virginia is playing its first season in the Big 12 Conference in 2012-13. The Mountaineers were members of the Big East Conference for the previous 17 seasons.
• WVU has won 78 of its last 100 non-conference games and 83 of its last 106 non-league contests (includes postseason).
• Sixty-six of Bob Huggins’ 133 victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
• WVU has won 95 of its last 124 games against unranked teams, including 49 of its last 56 at the WVU Coliseum.
• Bob Huggins is 16-18 in Big 12 Conference games. He is 6-12 at WVU, and his Kansas State team posted a 10-6 Big 12 record in 2006-07. The Wildcats finished fourth in the Big 12 in 2007.
• West Virginia is 60-48 under Bob Huggins in conference regular season games.
• WVU has started 12 different players this season with 13 different starting lineup combinations.
• Freshman Eron Harris leads WVU in scoring in Big 12 Conference games at 12.5 points per game. He has posted double figures in 12 of his last 16 games, including a career-high 25 points against Baylor.
• Harris, who leads WVU in scoring at 9.9 points per game, could become just the second Mountaineer freshman to lead WVU in single season scoring. Warren Baker led WVU in scoring at 16.6 points per game in 1972-73.
• Sophomore Juwan Staten leads the Big 12 in assist-to-turnover ratio (conference games only) at 2.90.
• Freshman Terry Henderson is second in the Big 12 (conference games only) in 3-point field goal percentage (46.0 percent).
• West Virginia has made at least one 3-point field goal in 454 consecutive games. The last time WVU did not make a 3-point field goal was against Robert Morris on Nov. 27, 1999.
• WVU has made nine straight postseason appearances: 2012 NCAA Second Round, 2011 NCAA Third Round, 2010 NCAA Final Four, 2009 NCAA First Round, 2008 NCAA Sweet 16, 2007 NIT champions, 2006 NCAA Sweet 16, 2005 NCAA Elite
Eight and 2004 NIT Second Round.
• Bob Huggins has led WVU to the NCAA championship in each of his first five seasons. The last time WVU made five consecutive NCAA appearances was from 1955-60, when the Mountaineers went six consecutive years to the NCAA tourney.
• West Virginia has won 67 of its last 83 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
• West Virginia is 39-2 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
• West Virginia is 108-22 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
• West Virginia is 115-14 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 107-7 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
• West Virginia has won 73 of its last 86 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• The Mountaineers are 96-16 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
• West Virginia is 110-29 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
• West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 37 times under Bob Huggins (207 games).
• Twenty-four of the last 25 senior members of the men’s basketball team have graduated on time or early since 2004.
• Bob Huggins has wins over 20 ranked teams since he has been the head coach at West Virginia, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team in the last six seasons.
• WVU is 8-6 all-time on March 13. The Mountaineers are 205-150 all-time in the month of March.
Congrats to WVU freshman Eron Harris and senior Deniz Kilicli, both earned All-Big 12 Conference Honorable Mention honors.— WVU Men's Basketball (@WVUhoops) March 11, 2013
West Virginia University Mountaineers, WVU, 2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship
Big 12 Championship Update No. 3
Big 12 Championship Update No. 2
Big 12 Championship Update No. 1
Baseball: Big 12 Championship
Baseball: Texas Tech Game 3 Highlights
Baseball: Texas Tech Game 2 Highlights