WVU Falls to No. 20 Texas Tech
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - In its first of two matches being played in Texas, the West Virginia University women's tennis team was defeated by No. 20 Texas Tech, 6-1, at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas.
“This was a very tough day for our team,” said coach Tina Samara. “We played outside for the first time since the fall. We hit around noon, and it was 45 degrees with winds that were blowing at 12-15 mile per hour. Those were very tough conditions for our first outdoor match. We have to learn from this match.”
The Red Raiders (11-4, 2-0 Big 12), who featured the No. 34 doubles combo of Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo, jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, after they earned the doubles point with a sweep of all three matches.
After its capture of the doubles point, Texas Tech scored two quick singles victories at the No. 2 and No. 4 spots to put the Mountaineers down, 3-0.
Facing a 3-0 deficit, WVU faced a tough hill to climb, but the Red Raiders were simply too much.
Texas Tech sealed up its victory with a victory at No. 6 singles, as Sandra Dynka defeated Irinka Toidze, 6-1, 6-4.
At No. 5 singles, Vivian Tsui had her four-match win streak snapped, as she fell to the Red Raiders' Caroline Starck.
The Mountaineers (4-10, 0-3 Big 12) received their lone singles victory of the day from Audrey Wooland. The Sugar Land, Texas, native handled Samantha Adams, 6-4, 6-3 for her fifth singles win of the season.
“It was nice for Audrey to get a win,” Samara said. “But, as a team, we have to get tougher and meaner. Every Big 12 teams brings that type of attitude to a match.”
WVU returns to action on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m., as it takes on No. 22 Texas.
1. Audrey Wooland (WVU) def. Samantha Adams (TTU), 6-4, 6-3
2. #118 Kenna Kilgo (TTU) def. Hailey Barrett (WVU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU) def. Ikttesh Chahal (WVU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Emily Mathis (WVU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Caroline Starck (TTU) def. Vivian Tsui (WVU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Sandra Dynka (TTU) def. Irinka Toidze (WVU), 6-1, 6-4
1. #34 Adams/Kilgo (TTU) def. Barrett/Chahal (WVU), 8-5
2. Sanders/Dynka (TTU) def. Wooland/Mathis (WVU), 8-4
3. Ullathorne/Starck (TTU) def. Toidze/Tsui (WVU), 8-0
WVU Women's Tennis, Big 12 Women's Tennis, NCAA Women's Tennis
Coach Mike Carey
United Bank Playbook
Bob Huggins Media Conference: NC State
Oliver Luck's WVU Tenure
Dana Holgorsen News Conference