Mountaineers, No. 16 Cyclones to Meet Monday
By Bryan Messerly for WVUsports.com
February 09, 2014 11:43 AM
Monday night's game will be televised nationally by ESPNU. The MSN from IMG radio broadcast will be on Sirius/XM 91.
Date: Monday, Feb. 10, 2014
Location: WVU Coliseum (14,000) in Morgantown, W.Va.
Tipoff: 7 p.m. ET
Series: Iowa State leads 2-0
(Adam Amin and Bob Valvano)
Limited Coliseum Parking
The men’s basketball team will play host to Iowa State in the Coliseum on Monday, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. Coliseum parking on Monday will be extremely limited. Students who have classes in the Coliseum on Monday will be allowed to park in the Natatorium lot for free until 5 p.m. Students who do not have classes in the Coliseum, but in other areas of the Evansdale campus may park for free in the Coliseum lots near the Arboretum until 5 p.m. Space is limited at both locations. WVU faculty and staff who work at the Coliseum will be allowed to park for free during the day until 5 p.m. To offset this parking loss, all are reminded that short-term parking is available at the Alumni Center, Mountaineer Station on Van Voorhis Road, at a variety of short-term lots on the Evansdale campus, and in downtown parking garages and lots operated by the Morgantown Parking Authority. All of these alternatives have easy access to the PRT and Mountain Line bus system, which is free to WVU students, faculty and staff.
- West Virginia is 75-24 in the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins, including a 38-21 mark in league games at home.
- WVU is 484-144 (.772) all-time at the WVU Coliseum and 105-27 at the WVU Coliseum in the last nine seasons.
- Under Bob Huggins in the WVU Coliseum, WVU is averaging 77.1 ppg, while holding its opponents to 62.0 ppg.
- WVU’s average margin of victory at the WVU Coliseum under Bob Huggins is +15.1.
- The Mountaineers have won 52 of their last 76 conference games at the WVU Coliseum.
- Bob Huggins has wins over 21 ranked teams at WVU, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team.
- Bob Huggins is 22-23 in Big 12 Conference games. He is 12-17 at WVU, and his Kansas State team posted a 10-6 Big 12 record in 2006-07. With a win at TCU this season, he is now 4-3 at WVU in conference openers.
- Bob Huggins, with 737 career wins, is in 16th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. He needs four wins to tie John Chaney for 15th place. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011.Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 737-296 in his 32nd season as a head coach.
- Bob Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
- West Virginia has made at least one 3-point field goal in 479 consecutive games. The last time WVU did not make a 3-point field goal was against Robert Morris on Nov. 27, 1999.
- West Virginia is 9-0 this season when allowing 69 or less points in a game.
- Nationally, WVU ranks ninth in fewest turnovers per game and 29th in assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Juwan Staten has had one or fewer turnovers in 17 of his last 31 games dating back to last year.
- Staten has had 14 points or more in 16 straight games, including 20 points or more six of the past 10 games.
- Staten scored 35 points against K-State on Feb. 1, the second-most by a player in a Big 12 Conference game this season.
- Staten was 18-of-21 from the free throw line against the Wildcats, tying the school record for free throws made in a game. He tied Rod Thorn, who made 18 in a 1963 game at George Washington. His 21 attempts rank 11th in school history, but are the most since Thorn attempted 23 in that game against GW.
- For his performances against Kansas State and Baylor, Staten was named Big 12 Player of the Week (Feb. 3). He is the first WVU player to earn Big 12 Player of the Week honors.
- Staten is averaging nearly 11 points per game more than last year’s 7.6 points-per-game average, is shooting almost 20 percent better from the floor and has already surpassed the 101 assists he handed out last year.
- Staten is at or near the top in just about every statistical category in the Big 12 this year, including scoring (second), field goal percentage (fourth), assists (second), assist-to-turnover ratio (second), steals (fourth) and minutes played (first).
- Staten has three double-doubles this season (points and rebounds). He has four games with nine or more assists.
- Staten (18.3) and Eron Harris (17.5) are second and third, respectively, in scoring in the Big 12.
- Harris ranks second in the Big 12 in 3-point FGM, third in free throw percentage and fourth in 3-point percentage.
- Harris (67 3’s) is two 3-FGM shy of the WVU sophomore record, set by Patrick Beilein (2004) and Alex Ruoff (2007).
- Terry Henderson has posted double-figure point totals in nine of the last 12 outings.
- Devin Williams has posted five double-doubles and has had six double-figure rebounding performances this season.
- Williams’ five double-doubles are already the fifth most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- Williams’ five double-doubles are tied for the most by any freshman in the Big 12 Conference this season.
- Williams has 175 rebounds so far this season, the seventh most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 32 times under Bob Huggins (232 games).
- West Virginia has won 65 of its last 74 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
- West Virginia is 42-3 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
- West Virginia is 110-21 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
- West Virginia is 115-13 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 107-7 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
- West Virginia has won 79 of its last 95 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- The Mountaineers are 102-19 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 108-26 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Mountaineers are 10-14 all-time on February 10. WVU is 504-385 all-time in February.