Mountaineers Travel to No. 19 Texas
By Bryan Messerly for WVUsports.com
February 13, 2014 03:30 PM
West Virginia vs. Texas Game Information
DATE: Saturday, February 15, 2014
LOCATION: Erwin Events Center (16,755) in Austin, Texas
TIPOFF: 8:00 p.m. ET
SERIES: Series tied 3-3
TV: Longhorn Network (Paul Sunderland, T.J. Ford and Kaylee Hartung)
RADIO: Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG (Tony Caridi and Jay Jacobs)
|Bob Huggins Teleconference
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia travels to Austin, Texas to face 19th-ranked Texas Saturday evening in a game that will be televised on the Longhorn Network.
Here is a look inside the numbers at Saturday's matchup at the Frank Erwin Events Center in Austin:
- Five of the six meetings with Texas have been decided by four points or less.
- Bob Huggins has posted 28 conference road victories in seven years at WVU. WVU finished with three Big 12 road wins in 2012-13 and is 3-3 in road league play this year.
- Seventy-two of Bob Huggins’ 148 West Virginia victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
- Bob Huggins has wins over 22 ranked teams at WVU, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team.
- Bob Huggins is 23-23 in Big 12 Conference games. He is 13-17 at WVU, and his Kansas State team posted a 10-6 Big 12 record in 2006-07. With a win at TCU this season, he is now 4-3 at WVU in conference openers.
- Bob Huggins, with 738 career wins, is in 16th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. He need three wins to tie John Chaney for 15th place. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 738-296 in his 32nd season as a head coach. Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
- West Virginia is 9-0 this season when allowing 69 or less points in a game.
- Nationally, WVU ranks ninth in fewest turnovers per game. The Mountaineers have had 14 outings with single-digit turnovers this season and have had 10 or less in 18 of 25 contests.
- West Virginia has shot 80.2 percent from the free throw line in the last four games.
- The Mountaineers are 15-4 this season when scoring 20 or more points in the paint (0-6 when they don’t).
- Juwan Staten has had one or fewer turnovers in 18 of his last 32 games dating back to last year.
- Staten has had 14 points or more in 17 straight games, including 20 points or more six of the past 11 games.
- Staten scored 35 points against K-State on Feb. 1, the second-most by a player in a Big 12 Conference game this season.
- For his performances against Kansas State and Baylor, Staten was named Big 12 Player of the Week (Feb. 3). He is the first WVU player to earn Big 12 Player of the Week honors.
- Staten is averaging nearly 11 points per game more than last year’s 7.6 points-per-game average, is shooting almost 20 percent better from the floor and has already surpassed the 101 assists he handed out last year.
- Staten is at or near the top in just about every statistical category in the Big 12 this year, including scoring (second), field goal percentage (fourth), assists (first), assist-to-turnover ratio (second), steals (eighth) and minutes played (first).
- Staten has three double-doubles this season (points and rebounds). He has five games with nine or more assists.
- Staten (457 points, 148 rebounds and 150 assists) could become the first player in school history to score 500 points, grab 150 rebounds and dish out 150 assists in a season.
- Counting his 298 points scored as a freshman at Dayton, Staten needs 10 points to reach 1,000 for his career.
- Staten (18.3) and Eron Harris (17.4) are second and fourth, respectively, in scoring in the Big 12.
- Harris ranks second in the Big 12 in 3-point FGM, second in free throw percentage and fourth in 3-point percentage.
- Harris (69 3s) is tied for the school record for 3pt.-FGM by a sophomore with Patrick Beilein (2004) and Alex Ruoff (2007).
- Terry Henderson has posted double-figure point totals in 10 of the last 13 outings.
- Rémi Dibo ranks fifth in the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage and sixth in 3-point field goals made.
- Devin Williams has posted five double-doubles and has had six double-figure rebounding performances this season.
- Williams’ five double-doubles are already the fifth most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- Williams’ five double-doubles are tied for the most by any freshman in the Big 12 Conference this season.
- Williams has 176 rebounds so far this season, the seventh most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 32 times under Bob Huggins (233 games).
- West Virginia has won 65 of its last 74 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
- West Virginia is 43-3 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
- West Virginia is 111-21 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
- West Virginia is 116-13 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 108-7 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
- West Virginia has won 80 of its last 96 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- The Mountaineers are 103-19 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 108-26 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.