Mountaineers, Cyclones to Meet in Ames
By Bryan Messerly for WVUsports.com
February 25, 2014 10:55 AM
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia travels to Ames, Iowa to face 15th-ranked Iowa State at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. Sixteen days ago in Morgantown West Virginia defeated Iowa State, 102-77, behind a season-high 20 points from forward Remi Dibo.
Wednesday's game will be televised on the Big 12 Network on 35 stations nationally. Locally, the game will air on MASN (Capital region), PCNC (Pittsburgh), WIYE-My 5 (Parkersburg), WVFX (Clarksburg), WQCW (Charleston), WOAY (Beckley), WTOV-MeTV (Upper Ohio Valley) and ESPN3.com. The Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG will provide radio coverage on affiliates throughout the Mountain State.
Here is an inside look at the numbers for Wednesday night's game:
- Bob Huggins has posted 28 conference road victories in seven years at WVU. WVU finished with three Big 12 road wins in 2012-13 and is 3-4 in road league play this year.
- Seventy-two of Bob Huggins’ 148 West Virginia victories have been away from the WVU Coliseum.
- Bob Huggins has wins over 22 ranked teams at WVU, including eight over a Top-10 ranked team.
- Bob Huggins, with 738 career wins, is in 16th place on the NCAA Division I all-time winningest coaches list. He needs three wins to tie John Chaney for 15th place. Huggins recorded win No. 700 against Missouri State on Dec. 22, 2011. Huggins became the 20th Division I head coach to win 700 career games. Huggins’ record now stands at 738-298 in his 32nd season as a head coach. Huggins is the third-winningest active coach behind Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim.
- West Virginia is 9-0 this season when allowing 69 or less points in a game.
- Nationally, WVU ranks ninth in fewest turnovers per game. The Mountaineers have had 15 outings with single-digit turnovers this season and have had 10 or less in 20 of 27 contests.
- The Mountaineers are 15-4 this season when scoring 20 or more points in the paint (0-8 when they don’t).
- Juwan Staten was named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation’s top point guard.
- Staten has had five assists or more in 20 of 27 outings, with one turnover or less on 14 occasions.
- Staten has had 14 points or more in 19 straight games, including 20 points or more six of the past 13 games.
- Staten scored 35 points against K-State on Feb. 1, the second-most by a player in a Big 12 Conference game this season.
- Staten is averaging nearly 11 points per game more than last year’s 7.6 points-per-game average, is shooting almost 20 percent better from the floor and has already surpassed the 101 assists he handed out last year.
- Staten is at or near the top in just about every statistical category in the Big 12 this year, including scoring (third), field goal percentage (fourth), assists (first), assist-to-turnover ratio (second), steals (fifth) and minutes played (first).
- Staten has three double-doubles this season (points and rebounds). He has five games with nine or more assists.
- Staten (487 points, 162 rebounds and 163 assists) could become the first player in school history to score 500 points, grab 150 rebounds and dish out 150 assists in a season.
- Counting his 298 points scored as a freshman at Dayton, Staten now shows 1,018 points for his career.
- Eron Harris (18.1) and Staten (18.0) are second and third, respectively, in scoring in the Big 12.
- Harris (489 pts) and Staten (487 pts) could become the 44th and 45th WVU players to score 500 points in a season.
- Harris ranks second in the Big 12 in 3-point FGM, second in free throw percentage and third in 3-point percentage.
- Harris (77 3s) set the school record for 3pt.-FGM by a sophomore, passing Patrick Beilein (2004)/Alex Ruoff (2007) - 69 3s.
- Harris set the school record for consecutive free throws made by making 37 from Jan. 18 to Feb. 15. He broke the previous record of 32, set by Stan Boskovich in 1975 and Patrick Beilein in 2003-04.
- Harris has scored in double figures in 10 consecutive outings, including 21 points or more five times.
- Terry Henderson has posted double-figure point totals in 11 of his last 14 outings.
- Rémi Dibo ranks fourth in the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage and sixth in 3-point field goals made.
- Devin Williams has posted five double-doubles and has had six double-figure rebounding performances this season.
- Williams’ five double-doubles are already the fifth most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- Williams has 188 rebounds so far this season, the fifth most all-time by a WVU freshman.
- West Virginia has allowed its opponent to shoot 50 percent or better only 34 times under Bob Huggins (235 games).
- West Virginia has won 65 of its last 74 games when holding its opponents to 69 points or less.
- West Virginia is 43-3 under Bob Huggins when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
- West Virginia is 111-22 under Bob Huggins when leading at halftime.
- West Virginia is 116-13 under Bob Huggins when leading by 10 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 108-7 under Bob Huggins when posting a higher shooting percentage than its opponent.
- West Virginia has won 80 of its last 97 games when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- The Mountaineers are 103-20 under Bob Huggins when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- West Virginia is 108-26 under Bob Huggins when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Mountaineers are 19-12 all-time on February 26. WVU is 505-387 all-time in February.
GAMEDAY HASHTAG --- #HailWV
Everyone is encouraged to use #HailWV when posting/following social media content related to West Virginia Basketball.