Early Second-Half Goal the Difference in Win

  • By Charlie Healy
  • |
  • October 25, 2016 10:46 PM
  • |
PHILADELPHIA – An early second-half goal by senior forward Felix Angerer led the West Virginia men’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory at Penn on Tuesday night.
On a chilly night in Philadelphia, Angerer netted his third goal of the season for the Mountaineers (8-5-1) as WVU’s defense and junior goalkeeper Jose Santos produced its eighth clean sheet of the season against the Quakers (4-5-5).
Coming off a 3-1 upset victory at No. 22 Akron on Saturday night, West Virginia was out-shot 5-3 in the first half before Angerer scored his second game-winning goal of the year in the opening six minutes of the second half.
“We didn’t have our best first 45 minutes, we had a little bit of a hangover from the Akron match,” WVU coach Marlon LeBlanc said. “We put a lot of energy and effort into that match and the game right after the Akron game is always going to be a difficult game because of the emotion and energy that goes into it. A few halftime adjustments, the early goal right at the start of the second half and finally another shutout to go along with it.”
Despite being out-shot 10-4 in the match, the WVU defense prevented Penn from having more than one great chance offensively. Santos made three saves, two in the first half, including a big save early in the contest to keep it a scoreless game.
“Penn had the early opportunity, where Jose made the great save, and then it was everything from long-distance from that stage on,” LeBlanc said. “In the second half in particular, and really all game, our back line was tremendous. All match long, we limited them to one dangerous opportunity, and Jose made the save. We competed very well across the back line, We had to come out on the road and grind out the result, we did it, and that’s two in a row. It’s a big win and now we move on to Western Michigan this weekend.”
Angerer’s goal came at 51:20. The play began with freshman defender Steven James, who sent the ball into the box from just past midfield. As Angerer held off the Penn defender in the box, he let the ball bounce to him towards the left side of the net before firing it past the Penn keeper into the back of the net.
The Quakers had the ball for much of the first half. Penn held a 5-3 advantage in shots, while both teams had two shots on goal.
Santos made his first save in the third minute, before senior midfielder Libhart recorded WVU’s first shot on goal in the 17th minute. Santos kept it a scoreless match with a great save in the 25th minute before Penn added two more shots in the 29th and 32nd minutes, which were both blocked.
WVU’s final two shots of the half came from headers by freshman Kyle Davis, the first was wide and the second was saved, in the final seconds of the half.
Following Angerer’s goal to start the second half, Penn’s first shot came in the 64th minute, which went wide. The Quakers sent another shot wide in the 71st minute before they found Santos in the 77th minute, but the WVU keeper made the easy save.
That proved to be the final shot until the final three minutes, when Penn’s final shot, in the 88th minute, was wide.
Mid-American Conference play resumes on Saturday when the Mountaineers travel to Kalamazoo, Michigan, to face Western Michigan. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. ET.
For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUMensSoccer on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram