Irving, Texas – Samaje Perine (Oklahoma), Marvin Gross Jr.
(West Virginia), Barry J. Sanders (Oklahoma State) and Justin Crawford
(West Virginia) earned Big 12 football weekly awards for the final games of the regular season. Perine (offense) picked up his fourth career award and first of the season. Crawford (newcomer) was honored for the third time in the last five weeks. Gross Jr. (defense) and Sanders (special teams) were recognized for the first time.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, RB, Jr, Pflugerville, Texas
- Perine ran for a season-high 239 yards and scored a touchdown in Oklahoma’s 38-20 Big 12 title-clinching win over Oklahoma State.
- On a cold and rainy day in which OU relied heavily on the run game, he averaged 6.5 yards per rush on his career-high 37 carries (OU's most rushes in 27 years).
- Held to 35 yards on 10 carries in the first half, exploded for 204 yards on 27 carries (7.6 average) in the second after the game was tied at 17 at halftime.
- Broke loose for a season-long 66-yard run on the first play of the second half to help set up his 1-yard score, his 50th career rushing touchdown. The TD put OU ahead for good.
- On a 4th-and-1 play from the Oklahoma State 11-yard line with less than a minute to go, Perine broke through the line and had a clear path to the end zone but graciously took a knee at the 2-yard line.
- Marked the 15th 100-yard rushing game of his career (fourth this season) and his sixth 200-yard rushing effort (second this season). He needs just 82 yards to tie Billy Sims' OU career rushing record of 4,118 yards.
- Ranks second in the Big 12 with his 108.2 rushing yards per game this season.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Marvin Gross Jr., West Virginia, S, Jr, Baltimore, Md.
- Gross Jr. was forced into a starting role after Kyzir White missed the game with injury in West Virginia’s 24-21 win over Baylor.
- Finished with seven tackles, including three solo stops and also had two sacks for nine yards.
- Created two turnovers with a forced fumble and an interception that he returned 18 yards.
- Also added a pass breakup.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Barry J. Sanders, Oklahoma State, KR, Sr, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Sanders set career bests with 138 all-purpose yards and a 56-yard kickoff return in the Cowboys’ game at Oklahoma.
- Also had a kickoff return of 49 yards.
- His kickoff returns of 56 and 49 yards were the two longest of his career and were also the two longest kickoff returns for Oklahoma State this season.
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
- Crawford rushed 28 times for 209 yards, averaging 7.5 yards per carry in WVU’s game against Baylor.
- Went over 1,000 yards for the season. With 1,168 yards, he is the third 1,000-yard rusher under coach Dana Holgorsen and second in consecutive seasons.
- Posted his second game this season with more than 200 yards, the first for the Mountaineers since Pat White and Steve Slaton each did it twice in 2006.
- Had a season-long run of 63 yards.