MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - To provide a safer environment for Mountaineer fans and to expedite entry into all ticketed WVU athletic events, the West Virginia Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will implement the NFL’s Clear Bag Policy starting with the 2017-18 season.
Following the NFL’s lead along with other professional and collegiate programs, WVU’s clear bag policy limits the size and type of bags that fans may bring into an athletic venue. The policy has been proven to enhance public safety and make it easier for fans to gain access to events.
“Fan safety and enjoyment is a top priority for us,” Director of Athletics Shane Lyons said. “Unfortunately in light of recent events around the country and the world, we believe it is necessary to take additional steps to ensure fan safety. The NFL has been a leader with the clear bag policy program and it has produced positive results in professional and collegiate athletic venues.
“We know that change is sometimes hard, but we did not make this decision to inconvenience our fans. Quite the opposite, we made this decision to protect our fans.”
Beginning with the 2017 women’s soccer home opener against Virginia on Thursday, Aug. 24, the following items will be permissible into WVU ticketed athletic events at Milan Puskar Stadium, WVU Coliseum, Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium and Monongalia County Ballpark:
Starting this fall, prohibited items include, but are not limited to, purses larger than a clutch bag, diaper bags, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags, any bag larger than the permissible size and non-approved seat cushions or chair backs larger than 16” and that have pockets, zippers, compartments or covers.
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12.” Football season ticket holders will be provided with a complimentary logoed clear bag in their season ticket package and clear bags will be sold in fan retail outlets.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc bag for example)
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, (4.5” x 6.5”) with or without a handle or strap. A small clutch bag can be taken into the venue in addition to a clear bag.
- Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at an assigned designated gate has been performed.
- Seat cushions or chair backs 16” or less
In order to enter WVU athletic venues with greater security at a faster pace, fans are strongly encouraged to bring only the bags listed as permissible or entry will not be granted.
“The Clear Bag Policy at our home games will enhance our ability to increase the safety and security of our fans,” WVU Chief of Police Bob Roberts said. “We know that in today’s world, we must strive to reduce the risks associated with large gatherings and the WVU Police Department considers this policy an important step in helping us to protect our fans.”
The athletic department invites and encourages fans to visit WVUsports.com/clearbag
for more information, to view pictures of permissible and non-permissible items and to obtain answers to frequently asked questions about the clear bag policy. This information will be accessible on the website throughout the year to assist fans and provide information.
The following WVU retailers have clear bags:
- The Book Exchange, Morgantown, W.Va.
- Alumni Hall, Charleston, W.Va.
- Mountaineer World, Clarksburg, W.Va.
- Bond's Tailgaters, Vienna, W.Va.
- Paisley's, Plaids and Polka Dots, Morgantown, W.Va.
The following retailers will have clear bags later this summer:
- WVU Bookstore, Morgantown, W.Va.
- Adam's Hallmark Stores
- Mountaineer Zone
- Mountaineer Nation