The WVU Athletic Council consists of eleven (11) members. The members of such Council shall be selected in the following manner:
Duties and Responsibilities of the Council.
- Six (6) members of such Council shall be appointed by the President of the University from the faculty of the University. One (1) of the faculty members shall be designated by the President as Chairman of the Council. Each year, nominees in the number of twice the vacancies to be filled shall be named by the University Senate. Members shall be appointed for staggered terms of three years. No faculty member shall be eligible for appointment to such Council who is not willing and prepared to devote such time as may be reasonably necessary to a proper discharge of the work and responsibilities of the Council, as detailed below. No employee of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics shall be eligible for appointment upon such Council.
- There shall be one (1) University classified staff member appointed to the Council by the President for a term of three (3) years. Every three (3) years the University Staff Council shall submit to the President a list of two (2) nominees, each of whom are full time members of the University classified staff. No classified staff member shall be eligible who is not willing and prepared to devote such time as may be reasonably necessary to a proper discharge of the work and responsibilities of the Council. No employee of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics shall be eligible for appointment to the Athletic Council.
- There shall be two (2) alumni members upon such Council, who shall each be appointed by the President for a term of three (3) years from a list of nominees submitted to him by the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association of WVU. No alumni member shall be eligible who is not willing to consider the appointment as an important obligation to the University and requiring regular attendance at meetings of the Council. No employee of the Alumni Association of WVU shall be eligible for membership on such Council.
- The Athletic Council shall have two (2) student members, who shall be elected at the regular general election of the student body of the University. The candidates should meet the requirements as stated in Article VI Section 4 of the Student Body Constitution. To be eligible for membership on the Athletic Council, students, at the time of election, shall have been in residence for at least three (3) semesters and must not be a member of any intercollegiate athletic squad, a member of any organization supporting athletics that is directly or indirectly supervised by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, or is employed by the Department. If, after election, a student member of the Athletic Council should become a member of any intercollegiate athletic squad, or a member of the managerial staff of any squad, a member of any organization supporting the athletic program that is directly supervised by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, or is employed by the Department, his or her position on the Athletic Council shall be declared vacant, and the vacancy shall be filled as indicated below.
- In the event a vacancy shall occur on the Athletic Council, such vacancy shall be filled by the President of the University by appointment for the unexpired term. All terms of office of members of the Council shall begin on July 1.
- The composition of the Athletic Council is in compliance NCAA regulations (Article 6.1.2) for any board in control of athletics or an athletics advisory board, which has responsibility for advising or establishing athletics policies and making policy decisions.
The duties and responsibilities of the Athletic Council shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- assist the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics in establishing administrative policies;
- serve the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and senior administration of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics in an advisory role for matters related to the operation of the athletic program;
- review of the total annual budget for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics;
- review annual academic and participation reports as required by the NCAA or other regulatory bodies;
- initiate routine review of academic support services provided to student-athletes;
- review proposed ticket prices for football, men's basketball and other sports;
- establishment of proper procedures for the creation and presentation of athletic participation and achievement awards;
- perform such other functions as may be assigned by the President of the University.